Be True to Yourself in Your Personal Brand
If your online marketing material stimulates an image in your mind that is just not you, it’s time to change. It is possible you’ve been trying to model your approach after someone else. You are trying to fit in and be like others in your industry, but here is the hard loving truth. There is no one quite like you! So let’s start creating your personal brand.
It’s time to show up and be seen.
Being yourself isn’t always easy. There is a moment of vulnerability when you share with the world exactly who you are. And it is that moment of vulnerability, when you let your personality show through that you connect with your ideal customers. And don’t worry! You don’t have to get super personal or share parts of your life that you want to keep private. You just have to let your beautiful self shine through.
Who do you want to show up as?
There’s lots of talk about branding in regard to online marketing. The basic principles of branding are to decide on the image you wish to portray and what message you want to drive home. Here are some questions to consider…
- What image do you want to portray? Casual or professional
- What is your ultimate purpose, your “Why”?
- What is at the center of your message?
How do you start showing up?
Once you have answered these questions, it is time to start showing up, and the best way is to simply do it. Show up! You just do. People want to see you, and hiding behind a computer screen planning for “someday” isn’t going to get your message out there. Here are a few tips to get you started…
- If you are writing a blog in the midst of a snowstorm and it is “a bit nippy outside” don’t hesitate to say so
- If you are attending a conference to grow your business and career, share about it through blogging, social media and your email list
- Let’s say you have a crazy love affair with coffee, share your love of coffee through social media
- If you have a service or product that supports you in business and career growth, share it
- If you are taking the casual approach to your personal branding don’t be afraid to be more casual and personal in your emails to you followers
Remember, creating and building a strong brand does not have to compromise your personality. In the world of online marketing, retaining your personality and your identity will go far in branding your business. You’ll be much happier with the long-term effects of your online marketing if you don’t try to be someone you are not. Be yourself and have fun creating your personal brand.
Are you ready to create your own Personal Brand? Check out my totally FREE Branding Your Biz Master Class!
- Identify fonts that best represent your brand personality
- Finish by creating a Branding Style Guide to use for all of your marketing needs